LINCOLN (KFOR NEWS – August 7, 2019) — Lincoln Fire and Rescue were called to the Mercy Western Manor Apartment Complex on Tuesday night after multiple residents called to report their Carbon Monoxide Alarms being set off. LFR Spokesperson Nancy Crist says that crews arrived to find Carbon Monoxide levels of over 100 parts per million in the complex, with some apartments reaching levels of 220 parts per million. She says that the average in-home Carbon Monoxide Detector is set off when it detects levels of 25 parts per million, making this incident a serious threat.

The entire complex was evacuated, and 15 people were transported to the hospital as a precautionary measure. Remaining residents were relocated for the night, and LFR investigators are on-scene attempting to find the source of the leak. Current guidelines recommend having a Carbon Monoxide Detector on every floor of your residence, and Crist says that you should call LFR whenever you are concerned about Carbon Monoxide in your home. Early symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include headaches, blurred vision, and nausea.


In an update on the CO leak released Thursday, it was determined to be blamed on a malfunctioning boiler. Alarms sounded at the 24 unit building at 2230 West “Q” Street Tuesday night. A City Building Inspector says the boiler has been fixed, and all residents are now back in their apartments, with brand new carbon monoxide detectors.