Scott Middle School near 20th Street and Pine Lake Road in Lincoln was evacuated for a short time Monday morning on the first day of school.
KFOR News media partner 10/11 Now reports a possible gas scent was detected in the school. As a precaution, school officials decided to evacuate the building.
Lincoln Fire and Rescue arrived immediately and gave the all-clear to go back into the school.
“I am proud of our Scott staff and students who handled this evacuation protocol like pros,” said Mary Kay Roth, Director of Communications for LPS. “The evacuation protocol is used when there is a situation inside the school such as a fire, gas leak, etc.”
Tips for families when discussing emergency responses can be found on the LPS Security webpage.
Also Read: First Day of School