Lincoln Transportation and Utilities are planning several road projects throughout the city, including pavement repair, utility work, and asphalt rejuvenation.
The asphalt rejuvenation project is scheduled to be complete Monday, July 15, depending on the weather. Digital message signs will alert drivers to upcoming work and lane closures. The project schedule is available at lincoln.ne.gov (keyword: sealing).
Streets will be treated in the following order:
Tuesday, July 9
- Yolande Avenue from 20th Street to Cornhusker Highway
- 20th Street from Yolande Avenue to Cornhusker Highway
- Madison Avenue from 33rd to 34th streets
- 36th Street from Adams Street to approximately 325’ south of Adams Street
- 25th Street from “O” to “P” streets
- 46th Street from “O” to “R” streets
- 50th Street from “O” Street to approximately 235’ north of “O” Street
Wednesday, July 10
- Holdrege Street from 19th to 27th streets
- Pear Street from 27th to 29th streets
- Manse Avenue from 27th Street to Bradfield Drive
- Sheridan Boulevard from South to 33rd streets
Thursday, July 11
- Sheridan Boulevard from 33rd to Calvert streets
Friday, July 12
- Pioneers Boulevard from 31st to 40th streets-a.m.
- Pioneers Boulevard from 40th to 48th streets-p.m.
Monday, July 15
- 56th Street from South to “A” streets
The rejuvenation project is intended to stabilize and preserve the asphalt and extend the life of the driving surface. The process requires closure of the street for two to three hours while liquid rejuvenator is applied. After two hours, sand is applied, and the street is reopened, but motorists are urged to drive slowly.
Motorists should not drive on the streets until they have reopened to avoid tracking and getting the liquid rejuvenator on vehicles, as it can be difficult to remove from tires and shoes. Dry conditions are necessary for successful application, making the project schedule heavily dependent on the weather.
Beginning at 8 a.m., Monday, July 15, the southbound lanes on North 27th Street, between Vine and “T” streets will be closed through Friday, July 19, for utility work. Black Hills Energy will be removing abandoned gas lines. Digital signs will alert traffic to upcoming work and lane closures. Drivers are encouraged to seek an alternate route.
Beginning at 7 p.m., Monday, July 15, portions of South 84th Street between Kathy Lane and Pioneers Boulevard will be closed for pavement repair. Alternating northbound lane closures will occur between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. through July 29. Only one lane will be closed at a time at night and all lanes will remain open during the day. Digital signs will alert traffic to upcoming work and lane closures.
Drivers are reminded to exercise caution around work zones. Lincoln Transportation and Utilities appreciates the public’s patience during this repair.
For more information on these projects, visit lincoln.ne.gov (keyword: projects) or contact James Puls, LTU, at 402-525-5641 or [email protected], Zach Becker, LTU, at 402-613-3763 or [email protected], or Shane Dostal, LTU, at 402-525-7852 or [email protected]. Current information on street closures is available at lincoln.ne.gov (keyword: closure) or through the Waze mobile app.